My daughter is a notorious storyteller. If you give her a chance, she’ll tell you everything about her day.
I’ve gotten to the point that I’ll say, “Bullet points, Maggie! Give me the bullet points!”
In copy, bullet points are one of our greatest tools. Because content scanners can still pick up on the value and excitement of what you’re offering – even if they don’t want to read everything.
- bullet points do a
- great job of creating
- white space so your
- content is much more
See all the white space over ->
However, like many powerful tools, sometimes bullet points aren’t used as effectively as they could be.
Here are some questions to ask yourself when writing bullet points:
- Does my word choice make the copy more compelling?
- Learn the language at your own pace
- Structured lessons to keep you organized
- Be supported as you learn
- Proven method for mastering the language in 6 months or less
- Tried and true building-block format to produce results from Day 1
- Unlimited email access to your skilled instructor/course creator
Power words and active verbs will help your bullets shine. These are the words and phrases that elicit an emotional, compelling reaction to your content. (Even if sometimes such writing feels a little spammy.)
- Are you highlighting the best parts of your message – like benefits? (Versus features.)
- 20 fruit flavoring options
- Added vitamins and minerals
- Sold by the case
- Enjoy all your favorite flavors PLUS try something new to tickle your tastebuds
- Healthy alternative to other drinks (including water)
- Keeps you hydrated for months (at a discounted price)
As business owners, we want to tell people all about our great offering. Because it’s got this and that and another thing. All very cool…to you.
Ultimately, all your contacts want to know is how your offering is going to make their life better. They don’t care about the details.
- Do I keep my bullet points short and/or easy to consume?
- Helps ensure doctors will have time to detect and effectively treat your condition before your symptoms become unmanageable
- Provides the latest technology to minimize time requirements, prevent invasiveness and avoid patient discomfort
- Completed by skilled physicians with a focus on giving you the best treatment available
- Guaranteed to detect problems before they become…problems
- Fast, easy, comfortable testing provided
- Top-rated physicians with one concern – you
I’ve seen bullet points that are the length of novels. (Ok, I’m exaggerating.) But long bullet points defeat the purpose of writing them in the first place. Granted, there are always exceptions to the rule. But most people will do better if they keep it short and sweet.
I would say that 75% + of the content pieces I write include bullet points somewhere. And now you know why. Master this skill and you’ll increase engagement and, ultimately, make your copy more compelling.
Need additional ideas to quickly improve your content skills? Be sure to sign up for our weekly newsletter.